In mediation, trained professionals help a couple reach a fair settlement
that both individuals can accept. By balancing the needs of both people
compromises, mediators help couples resolve conflicts. There are no winners
losers in mediation.
mediation builds on the positive aspects of a couple's relationship. Good
divorces are possible, even when spouses begin the process in conflict about
guides a couple through negotiations on parenting, spousal support, and
property division. Its neutral and nonjudgmental approach makes possible
a successful resolution.
Why should people mediate their divorce rather than sue each other and fight
it out in court?
with MCEC offers many advantages:
- It costs less than traditional lawsuits.
- Unlike lawyers, our mediators do not collect fees up front. Clients
pay fees as they
- Mediation is less emotionally painful than is a legal battle. Our
the emotional divorce as well as the legal divorce.
- During all mediation sessions, both members of the couple are present.
They can communicate directly and reach agreements more quickly.
- Each person gets to decide what is in his/her own best interests.
- At MCEC, mediation is flexible. The process is tailored to meet
each family's individual needs.
- At MCEC, we provide a friendly, comfortable setting, where it's
easier to discuss difficult matters.
Clients are free to consult with individual lawyers at any time during the
mediation process. We encourage clients to consult a lawyer before they
sign any agreement.
Mediation is voluntary. Clients may stop at any time—in the midst of a session
or at any
time during the process.
During a session, a client may leave for a “time out.” All communications
will stop until the person returns.
At any time during the process, one or both people may decide to
stop the mediation. They may do so without any penalty.
The mediators also have the right to stop a session or the process if,
in their professional opinion, it is no longer appropriate for the couple.
If mediation stops and the individuals get lawyers, then any agreements
reached during mediation can be included in the lawsuit only if both parties
agree. Otherwise, all
discussions start over.